For the simulation of turbulent flows in the atmosphere
MicroHH is a computational fluid dynamics code made for Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) and Large-Eddy Simulation (LES) of turbulent flows in the atmosphere. The code is written in C++.
MicroHH is hosted on GitHub. There, the latest version of the source code can be found, as well as all releases, a bug tracker, and wiki pages to help you get started. In case of any questions, please contact Chiel van Heerwaarden (chielvanheerwaarden at gmail.com).
MicroHH is described in detail in van Heerwaarden et al. (2017). In case you decide to use MicroHH for your own research, the developers would appreciate to be notified and kindly request to cite their reference paper.
View the code at Github »
Bug tracker »
Wiki pages »
27-05-2015: Added animation gallery
13-05-2015: V0.1 of the website online!
MicroHH activity map
Publications using MicroHH
- C.C. van Heerwaarden, B.J.H. van Stratum, T. Heus, J. Gibbs, E. Fedorovich, J.P. Mellado (2017): MicroHH 1.0: a computational fluid dynamics code for direct numerical simulation and large-eddy simulation of atmospheric boundary layer flows. Geosci. Model Dev., 10, 3145-3165 (10.5194/gmd-10-3145-2017)
- E. Fedorovich,, J.A. Gibbs, A. Shapiro (2017). Numerical study of nocturnal low-level jets over gently sloping terrain. J. Atmos. Sci. (10.1175/JAS-D-17-0013.1)
- K.A. McColl, C.C. van Heerwaarden, G.G. Katul, P. Gentine, D. Entekhabi (2017): Role of large eddies in the break- down of the Reynolds analogy in an idealized mildly unstable atmospheric surface layer, Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 143: 2182 – 2197, (10.1002/qj.3077)
- C.C. van Heerwaarden, J.P. Mellado (2016): Growth and Decay of a Convective Boundary Layer over a Surface with a Constant Temperature. J. Atmos. Sci., 73, 2165–2177 (10.1175/JAS-D-15-0315.1)
- P. Gentine, G. Bellon, and C.C van Heerwaarden (2015): A Closer Look at Boundary Layer Inversion in Large-Eddy Simulations and Bulk Models: Buoyancy-Driven Case. J. Atmos. Sci., 72, 728–749 (10.1175/JAS-D-13-0377.1)
- C.C. van Heerwaarden, J.P. Mellado, A. De Lozar (2014): Scaling Laws for the Heterogeneously Heated Free Convective Boundary Layer. J. Atmos. Sci., 71, 3975–4000 (10.1175/JAS-D-13-0383.1)